What is Legal Link?
Legal Link is one of the Member Benefits. It is a toll-free and confidential legal helpline that connects you to an accredited counselor who can help answer your questions about your personal legal matters such as wills, estate planning, home ownership and family law.
How do I access Legal Link?
As a member, You can call 800 444 3043 to access free legal advice by telephone or to obtain a referral to a lawyer in your area. When contacting the service, you will need to provide your Foresters certificate number and briefly describe your legal issue. The helpline is open Monday to Friday between 8 am and 8 pm EST.
|Questions and Answers|
Deeply discounted legal services
Legal Link lawyers can offer personalized general legal advice and support in most areas of law, including:
- Landlord and Tenant Real Estate*
- Civil (including small claims court)
Duration of free legal services
- Initial 30 minute phone consultations with a Legal Link lawyer regarding new legal matters
- Initial 30 minute face-to-face consultation with a local lawyer referred to by Legal Link
Guaranteed low hourly rate
Legal Link lawyers offer up to 25% off their customary hourly rates, for legal work.*
*Discounted fees for Real Estate Wills and Estates are not guaranteed but may also be available. Discuss directly with the referral lawyer what, if any, discount may be available in respect of these services. Excluded from Legal Link Canada Services are legal matters or actions against Foresters or any of its affiliates, or their respective directors, officers, employees or agents where access to Legal Link Canada was obtained as a benefit of Foresters membership
Legal Link referrals
Should you require a referral, a Legal Link representative will provide you with the name and number of a lawyer in your area (some restrictions may apply due to remote geographical areas). Once you have been given the referral lawyer’s contact information, you can contact the referral lawyer at your earliest convenience to set up an in person consultation. When contacting the referral lawyer in your area, please immediately identify yourself as a Foresters member, partnering with Law Assist.
Tip: Before you speak to the referral lawyer, try to think of some questions you might want to ask up front, such as:
- What is the referral lawyer’s fee structure? Remember that, as a Foresters member, you are entitled to the first 30 minutes of your referral consultation free of charge, as well as up to 25% off the lawyer’s customary fees (some restrictions may apply). Ask if you will you be charged a flat fee or an hourly rate? Ask as many questions as you need to understand the financial arrangement that you are entering into with the referral lawyer.
- How much will you be charged for disbursements and other fees? The referral lawyer may charge you disbursements and other fees in addition to his/her customary fee or hourly rate. Disbursements may include photocopy and courier charges and fees charged by the courts to file documents.
- What is the scope of services provided? Make sure you are comfortable with the referral lawyer and the way he/she plans to work with you. Ask as many questions as you need to better understand the scope of the services that will be provided.
- What if you have a concern? If you still do not feel comfortable with either the cost or the services provided, feel free to call 1-800-444-3043 to speak to a Legal Link representative.
If the referral lawyer you contact is not immediately available, he/she will get back to you within 2 business days. If, for any reason, the referral lawyer is unable to assist you, please call Legal Link toll-free for another referral.
Resources and information you might find useful
|Information about Wills
Learn why it’s important to have a will. Download >
|Will and Estates Webinar
Learn what an estate plan is, why it’s important, and how you can prepare one. Watch video >
|Will Planning Kit
Ready to create a will? Download and complete this kit before seeing your lawyer. Download >
|For My Family
Note down your financial information and your final requests in a document and ensure your loves ones know where to find it. Download >
Legal Link is one of the Member Benefits
Source: Foresters Financial